Since April 2017, working closely with regional employers and agencies, contacts within Jobcentre Plus and other training partners, Telford College have run numerous driver training sector-based work academies which give individuals the step-up into the industry they need.
Prior to their Class 2 training, learners receive three weeks of full-time classroom-based training to prepare them for employment, covering personal development and employability skills, customer service, whilst the second and third weeks focus on warehouse and storage, and driving goods vehicles.
They have been running driver training programmes in the West Midlands for the last 18 months.
Their goals were to optimise and expand their current programme.
- Experiencing low pass rates in certain areas
- Long training completion times (6 months plus) for certain cohorts
- Poor visibility of candidate progress
- Lack of viable training locations to match ambitious expansion plans
- Minimal employment support for candidates during and after training
Before starting the relationship, we commenced an investigation and discovery process to discover why certain cohorts were underperforming and contributing to their problems.
We found the following issues:
- Booking Mod 1 and Mod 2 separately
- Starting CPC process after completing HGV practical
- Lack of theory onboarding & support from certain suppliers
- A lack of direct contact with the driver & programme co-ordinators
- Not being able to track a candidate after their 3-week induction programme
- Ongoing practical training issues
- Not using a centralised supplier in certain areas
Solution Provided by STS
We offered TC a fully managed service that allowed them access to more suppliers through our centralised process and pricing. This would significantly reduce the administration necessary to run simultaneous cohorts across numerous locations allowing members of staff to focus on other business aspects.
STS implemented the following to help alleviate these issues
- Book module 1&2 simultaneously
- Complete CPC at the same time as Cat C licence
- Provided 1 on 1 theory onboarding session in weeks 1 & 2
- Opened a variety of communication lines – call, text & email with candidates
- Allowed TC access to the STS CRM so they could track candidates progress
- Onboarding session with Manpower – STS’s recruitment partner
Modules 1 & 2 are booked together to speed up the overall completion process. Candidates were passing their module 1 and then Category C but having to wait a further 5-8 weeks to complete modules 2 & 4 of their CPC. Booking all theories and practicals within the same week speeds up completion times by up to 8 weeks.
1 on 1 theory sessions via a phone call were implemented to ensure candidates are familiar with their theory software and have downloaded the mobile app. A PowerPoint presentation was developed to further support theory learning. This has contributed to learners feeling more at ease with their theory revision.
STS understand that people prefer to communicate by different channels. Text message correspondence is a great tool for learners who can’t always access their email or take a phone call. More open channels of communication have led to faster response times to book training.
By using STS’s manufactured portal, TC staff have access to the STS CRM. This allows them to track the progress of each candidate. Pass rates and dates of all modules are broken down giving full transparency to Telford College. Weekly reports are also sent to members of staff.
This allows them to liaise with and track candidates a lot more effectively after they comple their 3-week induction programme.
A very exciting new project for STS is the recent driver academy partnership they have with Manpower. TC drivers can benefit by registering with Manpower where they will receive CV enhancement and interview role-play whilst training. After completing training Manpower endeavour to place them into employment through their many contacts within the logistics industry. This employment support for learners is a huge benefit in helping TC meet their own employment goals.
- Produced their fastest ever trainee – 6-week completion – candidate then started employment 2 weeks later
- Average time to practical training 12 weeks – down from 6 months for certain suppliers
- Recruitment expertise provided through Manpower driver academy partnership – 64% registration uptake so far
- 100% visibility on candidate’s progress
STS & TC are always trying to improve the programme. STS would like to help TC expand the current programme into new areas and are thus helping TC to source new cohort tutors. STS share TC’s passion about training and introducing new driver into an industry that is crying out for new talent.
C. MURRAY, Head of learning and development
“We have now completed the CPC Training for 100 drivers. Well done! What a fantastic achievement, completed ahead of schedule.”